The big addition in Norton Internet Security 2010 is a new reputation engine, named Quorum. It works by automatically crosschecking your downloads and files against usage data collected from the millions of Norton installations across the globe. If it finds a program that’s not in common circulation – or one that’s hosted on a suspiciously new or remote server – it flags it up and advises you to steer clear until Symantec has had a chance to investigate it. It’s not a perfect system, but it offers more reassurance than most other suite.
It was a similar story with the firewall. The module made sensible decisions and deflected our attacks without demanding user input. But it did permit our attacking PC to at least confirm the existence of our test machine, leaving it slightly more at risk than with F-Secure, which made the system undetectable.
Besides Quorum, Norton’s 2010 suite introduces Safe Web, as seen in the latest edition of Norton 360. This browser-based system gives trust ratings to commercial websites, based on user reports and third-party business intelligence. Its ratings reflect concerns such as a site’s privacy and security policies, to help you decide whether to trust a given site with your personal details.
And there’s also a new performance log, which maintains a calendar of events such as software installations and malware scans. A log of CPU usage helps you track down greedy processes, while parental controls and a network security map round off the new toys.
Pleasingly, all these new features haven’t ruined Norton’s footprint: installing the software added just two seconds to boot time, plus 12 seconds of subsequent CPU activity. And a Vista system footprint of 613MB isn’t too hard to swallow at all.
* Anti Virus
* Anti Rootkit
* Bot Protection
* NEW! Norton Threat Insight
* NEW! Professional Strength AntiSpam
* NEW! Norton File Insight
* Norton™ Safe Web
* Smart Firewall
* Pulse Updates
* Network Monitoring
* Spyware Protection
* Identity Protection
* NEW! SONAR™2 Behavioral Protection
* NEW! Norton System Insight
* NEW! Norton Insight Network
* NEW! Norton Download Insight
* Parental Controls
* Vulnerability Protection
* NEW Delivers clear threat and performance explanations—Gives you greater insight into downloaded applications and files by telling you where they came from, if they can be trusted, and how they may impact your PC’s resources and performance.
* NEW Identifies unsafe web sites right in your search results—Warns you of dangerous web sites and suspicious sellers so you can surf and shop online with confidence.
* IMPROVED! Stops online identity theft, viruses, spyware, bots and more—Guards your PC, online activities, and your identity against all types of Internet threats.
* IMPROVED! Stops attacks before they get on your PC—Proactively blocks hackers and prevents dangerous software from downloading to your computer when you surf the web.
* Uses intelligence-driven Norton Insight Network for faster, fewer, shorter scans—Detects and eliminates dangerous software with the shortest scan times of any security product.
* NEW! Norton IdentitySafe On-the-Go lets you access your most up-to-date log-ins and passwords on any Norton Internet Security 2010 protected PC.
* NEW! Norton Safe Web identifies unsafe and dangerous web sites right in your search results.
* NEW! Analyzes downloads, files and applications and tells you if they can be trusted before you install and use them.
* NEW! Parental Controls give you insight into your kids’ online activities so you can teach them good Internet habits and help keep them safe.
* NEW! Professional-strength antispam protection uses the same technology as many large businesses to effectively block unwanted emails.
* IMPROVED! Norton Protection System delivers multiple layers of security that work together to provide comprehensive Internet threat protection.
* IMPROVED! Norton IdentitySafe offers one-click log-ins and automatic form filling to prevent key loggers from stealing your information as you type.
* IMPROVED! Vulnerability Protection guards security holes in your operating system, applications, browsers and browser plug-ins.
* IMPROVED! Detects and gets rid of even the hardest to find Internet Explorer and Firefox cookies.
* IMPROVED! Norton Bootable Recovery Tool repairs, restores and boots severely infected, unbootable PCs.
* Prevents bots from taking control of your PC.
* Finds and removes rootkits.
* Prevents Internet worms from getting on your PC.
* Tells you which application processes currently running on your PC are safe and which are at risk.
* Norton Bootable Recovery Tool provides a deep level of cleaning for heavily infected PCs.
Provides info on threats, downloads and files
* NEW! Norton Download Insight warns you of dangerous downloads before you install and use them.
* NEW! Norton Threat Insight tells you if threats were detected, what actions the threats attempted to perform on your system, and how Norton Internet Security eliminated those threats.
* NEW! Norton File Insight tells you where files and applications came from, if they’re trusted, and how they may be impacting your PC’s speed.
Helps keep your PC running at top speed
* NEW! Norton System Insight helps you improve and maintain PC and application performance.
* NEW! Automatic and on-demand application optimization improves application performance.
* NEW! Norton System Insight gives you an overview of recent events on your PC such as installs, downloads, scans and detected threats, so you can see what events may have impacted your PC’s performance.
* NEW! Norton System Insight resource usage graphs help you pinpoint what’s causing your PC to slow down.
* NEW! Automatically delays product updates and other tasks if you’re watching TV or burning CDs/DVDs.
* NEW! Power Saver Settings help extend portable PC battery life by putting off power-intensive activities until your computer is plugged in.
* Smart Scheduler conducts scans and other tasks only when your PC is idle.
* Automatically switches to Silent Mode (no alerts, updates or scans) when watching movies or playing games in full-screen mode.
1. Install Norton
2. Register Norton
3. Open settings tab and disable "Norton Tamper Protection"
4. Exit Norton internet security 2010 from the task bar.
5. Open NTR BOX
6. Press on the "INSTALL" button wait for success message, then exit NTR BOX
7. Open Norton register again and update.